- Change brass door hardware. If your home is more than 10 years chances are all the door hardware is the cheap brass builder’s grade door knob and hinges. We changed ours out ourselves. Here’s the oil rubbed bronze and the old brass.
- Dimmers. Installing dimmers in your home so you can create mood lighting is great. You can get dimmers for $10-$26. Why not spend a little more and make it a smart home? For $54.95 you can get a Lutron dimmer that works with Amazon Echo and you can control the lighting with voice activation or an app on your smart phone. Check out the dimmers on Amazon. Click here. You can see how they work on my smart home tour video: https://youtu.be/nqRaTLXCiz4?list=PLU6zR9MNszXo8YsmE7ho5lPblX88GP_X3
- Paint. It’s the cheapest way to update your front door, any room, doors and trim and even kitchen cabinets. I really like Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore paint but Lowes and Home Depot has more affordable paint.
- Caulk. Every 2-5 years you need to caulk the trim in your home and around windows and trim on the outside. Also caulking in your bathrooms. You should monitor all these areas to make sure there is no air coming in and no cracks. You can find these at Home Depot and Lowes and ask them for advice but of course Amazon has them.
- Picture Ledge Floating Shelves. This is a great option for artwork or family photos. It gives you the freedom to change art or pictures easily and I personally think it looks nicer than a gallery of pictures on the wall. I got the larger dark wood ledge at Pottery Barn. You can see them by clicking here. I got the 3′ long ledge and they are on sale right now for $61.99.
These white photo ledges are not as deep but they are much cheaper. I got these from Home Depot and they are $20.98. Click here to see them. There is a similar option on amazon for $22.05 and free shipping for Prime members. Click here.